The Definitive Guide to Buying Jamon Serrano

The question of Bodega, Reserva and Gran Reserva is one of the major talking points when it comes to buying a serrano ham given its effect on price. These 3 denominations are a reference to question the length of the curing process and as a consequence the quality of the leg chosen.

Read More...

Difference between Jamon Serrano, Prosciutto di Parma / Parma Ham, Jambon Sec / Bayonne Ham and Presunto explained!

These names are regularly banded about (and confused) in supermarkets, on the internet, in restaurants and the like, so we thought we’d look to clarify it once and for all. You’ll be interested to know that, in fact, the only significant differentiating feature is to do with the ham’s geographical origin. So what are these differences?

Read More...

What does Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) mean?

Some hams, along with various other products in the EU, are tagged with Geographical indications and traditional specialities such as PGO, PGS or TSG, generally at a higher cost. But why? This PGO question is one that we get asked frequently, so we thought we’d do a bit of clarification for all you quality-food-loving people out there!

Read More...

Production and consumption of jamon iberico – what are the figures?

Like any uberaficionado, we love stats. Specifically, how much jamon iberico and jamon serrano gets sold each year. After a number of hours of trawling of various sources we’ve managed to dig out out some rather juicy census data on iberico ham production, which we’re drooling to share with you.

Read More...

A comparison of prepacked & presliced ham vs ham on the bone

To make prepacked ham, the meat is deboned from the leg, squashed in to a long brick shape, frozen, sliced thinly and packed in to what you see in the supermarket packets. This is why all the slices look eerily similar and and have an eerily absent taste – it’s not that the meat comes as a meat-flavoured breeze block, but that’s how it’s best to cut.

Read More...

What Is the Difference Between Bodega, Reserva and Gran Reserva Jamon Serrano?

The question of Bodega, Reserva and Gran Reserva is one of the major talking points when it comes to buying a serrano ham given its effect on price. These 3 denominations are a reference to question the length of the curing process and as a consequence the quality of the leg chosen.

Read More...

Jamón Serrano is now produced in… you guessed it: China

The Chinese are second to none when it comes to reverse engineering and, soon enough (if not already without us knowing) there will be Chinese jamón serrano being sold in our supermarkets. In 2008 a delegation of Chinese government workers from the Accreditation and Certification Department went to Spain to assess some Spanish ham producers to make sure that they meet the demands of the Chinese government.

Read More...

The Most Flavoursome Jamon (ibérico or serrano) Stonebaked Pizza in the World!

This dish, more than being commonly known (although it’s a surprise to many a person who has only ever eaten jamon off a plate) is one of the most underrated jamon recipes.

For the pizza dough, Jamie Oliver as ever has a tasty and easy recipe for us all to follow. Alternatively, buy some pizza bases (freshly made will always taste better) at your local supermarket.

Read More...

Spanish Jamón Ibérico: the definitive guide to buying the best Pata Negra from Spain

According to a recent study, rather unsurprisingly 90% of jamón ibérico consumers choose their ibérico ham based on taste (what on Earth are the other 10% buying it for?!). “You are what you eat”, as the saying goes, and this goes for humans as well as animals…

Read More...

Learn about our Hamazing Ham!

Spanish ham is known worldwide for its outstanding qualities. The glistening ivory-white fatty deposits contrast with the intense red muscular meat. The ham has a sweet, caramelised sugar aroma and is soft and velvety to the touch. When the succulent ham hits your tongue the taste buds leap in to life revealing nutty & dried fruit undertones as the juicy wafer-thin ham literally melts in your mouth. There’s a reason why food critics have used Spanish ham and gastronomic orgasm in the same sentence.

Read More...